On Saturday I experimented with a new recipe for Ciabatta bread to see just how simply we could make a perfectly crusty on the outside, a chewy on the inside homemade ciabatta.
It turns out you can make a beautiful loaf in only 5 mins of work!! Of course it takes 45 mins to make in the oven, and yes it does all get eaten in about the same amount of time. Ours lasted through breakfast and dinner and now there is none left! It was great with the Pesto for bruschetta tonight 😉
Easy Peasy Wholemeal Ciabatta
- 200g all-purpose flour (farina tipo “00” )
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 410ml warm water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for the bowl
- In a blender, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Pour in the warm water, and blend for 5 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl, then plop the dough into that bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the dough, then cover the bowl in plastic wrap and cover with at towel. Place the bowl in a warm spot e.g. in oven turned off and with the door closed and allow it to rise for 2 hours.
- Remove bowl from the oven, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then sprinkle it with flour. Flour your hands, and shape the dough into a long loaf.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the bread is lightly golden. If you tap the bread, you should feel like it’s hollow – that’s how you know it’s ready!
- Place the bread on a cooling rack and allow it to cool down for a minimum of 20 minutes.