Today is another day in COVID-19 Quarantine in Como. It is Sunday and the kids wanted to do something fun for this sunny day, so we took them to the roof to restore our charcoal BBQ, Clean up our neglected roof terrace and see if we could cook some burgers for lunch and just enjoy be somewhere new (even if that’s just upstairs).
Only one problem we had no Hamburger buns. So I put together these yummy rolls with the flour at hand, at 11am, and by 1:30 they were perfect soft light rolls ready for even the largest of burgers. I sprinkled mine with a few sesame seeds just to add a little bit of a crunch and nutty flavour.
Easy Wholemeal Yeast Bread Rolls
- 500 g Flour Wholemeal, or any flour what every you have
- 320 g Water
- 7 g Dried Yeast
- 30 g Olive Oil
- 10 g Salt
- 15 g Sugar Brown sugar, Honey or Maple Syrup to add flavour
- 2 tbsp Milk for brushing the rolls before baking
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds For spinkling ontop of the rolls
- Place the Flour, Salt, Sugar and any optional extras such as seeds or handful of oats, to a large bowl, or place in a stand mixer if using.
- Add the 320g of water and 30g of olive oil.
- Mix well by hand until it forms a nice smooth dough, then need for at least 8 minutes in the bowl is fine. If using the stand mixer mix with dough paddles and knead for at least 5 mins.
- Cover with a cloth and let the dough rest now for at least one hour or when it doubles in size, in a nice warm place in the kitchen.
- Now it's time to shape the dough into rolls. Prepare your baking tray by lining it with baking paper. Then devide the dough into 8 equal pieces, or you can measure out each piece to approx 110g each.
- On a worktop, stretch out the dough piece to knock the air out of it a little, then pinch an edge of the dough, stretch it and fold it over itself, turn the dough piece and take another edge and repeat until you have a roughly round dough ball. Turn the dough ball over (crease side down) and place the baking tray.
- Again cover the dough balls with a tea towel and leave to rise for approx 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Brush the doughballs with a little milk and sprinkle on some sesame seeds or oat flakes.
- Bake in the middle of oven for 15-17 mins.
- Once you remove form the oven, remove from the tray and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, these rolls are delicious to eat immediately, or also freeze wonderfully. Enjoy with Burgers, for Picnic sandwiches or just lathered in Irish butter anytime!