Who doesn’t love a warm bowl of soup to wrap your hands around on a cold day? Fennel Soup is one of my personal favourites, the soothing sweet flavour of sautéed Fennel, even the kids here love it! Onions add a little sweetness and the potato in this recipe adds a creaminess to the final soup.
Last night in Como we had the most spectacular thunder storms and tropical rain. This morning the rain continued and I got lashed on during my morning walk by the lake. We were all in need of something warm and soothing for lunch today.
Soup is normally a big hit during winter in our family, and even though it is already mid May here, the weather made it feel like a winters day so it was time to prepare soup for lunch. We had some lovely fresh Fennel in the house, and the usual Potatoes and Onions. Our terrace Kitchen Garden is producing lots of great fresh Parsley too, so I also included that in today’s soup.
For everyday cooking, I love a recipe that creates something healthy, delicious, and doesn’t take too long to make!
Note in my recipe I leave the potato skins on – the skins on the potato are the most nutritious part of it so please don’t throw them away. Also it saves you prep time since you don’t need to peel the spuds! I really hate too much prep work for everyday cooking, and feel just a little bit less lazy when leaving the skins on is actually more nutricious anyhow 🙂
This recipe is actually a Vegan Soup since we don’t need to use any butter or milk or cream here. And this also keeps the soup quite light, perfect for any one with a sore tummy or feeling under the weather a little.
Fennel is also packed with Vitamin C and lots of great antioxidants.
Serve this fennel soup with a little black pepper and grated Parmesan, and of course some fresh bread rolls. I love my bread with a little Irish Butter on cold days, but equally yummy is just good Olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Soothing Fennel & Potato Soup
- 2 large Onions
- 2 Fennel Bulbs Chopped
- 2 Potatoes Cubed with skins on
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley or a tsp of dried parsley
- Olive Oil extra virgin
- Roughly Chop the onions and Sautee in a hot pan with a little salt and 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil, for 15 minutes.
- Add the Chopped Fennel and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, some freshly ground black pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add approximatedly 100ml of hot water and then using the hand blender, blend into a creamy soup. Add more hot water as necessary just a little at a time until the soup has reached a nice creamy consistency. Taste and check add a little more salt or black pepper if necessary.
- Cook through for another minute, or until piping hot. Serve with grated parmesan, black pepper and a little more freshly chopped parsely, or chopped fresh rocket. Enjoy!